Immunisation Information for Parents (“No Jab, No Play”)

The Victorian Government passed new immunisation legislation named ‘No Jab, No Play’, which took effect on 1 January 2016.

Victoria’s “No Jab, No Play” laws are aimed at increasing childhood immunisation rates across Victoria. 

Therefore, from 1 January 2016, all parents/guardians enrolling their child at an early childhood service in Victoria must provide evidence, upon enrolment, that their child is:

  • is up to date with vaccinations for their age OR
  • is on a recognised vaccine catch-up schedule OR
  • has a medical condition preventing them from being fully vaccinated.

Therefore, to accept a place at Highmount Preschool we require you to provide a copy of one of the above three points. Your child’s enrolment will not be confirmed until this documentation has been received by Highmount Preschool.

Changes to the Victorian Law

On 28 February 2018, the “No Jab, No Play” legislation was amended so that an Immunisation History Statement from the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) is the only form of documentation accepted by early childhood education and care services for the purposes of confirming a child’s enrolment in the service.

Documents produced by GPs or other immunisation providers will no longer be acceptable as proof of immunisation.

The No Jab No Play regulations specify that parents and carers must provide the service with evidence that their child continues to be up to date with immunisations while attending the service at intervals of no greater than seven months.

These requests for updated evidence will act as additional reminders and prompts to ensure their child’s immunisation is up-to-date for their age. 

What is the Australian Immunisation Register?

The Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) is a national register that records vaccines given to people of all ages in Australia.  You can request an immunisation history statement for your child. 

Phone: 1800 653 809

What is an Immunisation History Statement?

Your immunisation history statement shows all the immunisations you’ve had that are on the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR).

You can use your immunisation history statement to:

How can parents/carers obtain an Immunisation History Statement from the AIR?

You can print a copy of your child’s Immunisation History Statement from your myGov account.

Instructions on how you can get a record of immunisations for your child using your Medicare online account, or the Express Plus Medicare mobile app are available here

If you have difficulty getting a copy via your myGov account, you can:

  • call the AIR on phone 1800 653 809
  • visit a Medicare or Centrelink office.
I don’t have Medicare, how to I obtain an Immunisation History Statement?

If you are not eligible for Medicare, you will need to apply for an Individual Healthcare Identifier (IHI).  An Individual Healthcare Identifier (IHI) is a unique number used to identify an individual for health care purposes.

It helps ensure health professionals are confident that the right information is associated with the right individual at the point of care.

You already have an IHI if any of the following apply:

  • you have a Medicare card
  • you have a DVA card
  • you’re enrolled in Medicare.

If you’re not eligible for Medicare or a DVA benefit, find out how to get an IHI.

Information on how to obtain an Immunisation Certificate if you are not eligible for Medicare can be accessed here

What immunisations are required for children at childcare and kindergarten?

The National Immunisation Program Schedule provides recommended vaccines and when they should be received. 

Where can parents/carers go for immunisation services?

Monash Council offers free vaccinations through the National Immunisation Program Schedule for infants, school children and adults.  GPs and health clinics can also provide immunisation services.

Vulnerable and disadvantaged children are eligible to enrol under a grace period – without having provided proof of up-to-date immunisation – to allow families to continue accessing services while they seek advice and assistance to get their child’s vaccination schedule on track.

More information

More information for parents and carers is available on the Better Health Channel.